Saturday, June 15, 2013

Remus

This is Remus. An 8 week old black lab. We got him last night. I named him. He's named after a character in the Harry Potter series, Remus Lupin, a one time professor at Hogwarts who is also a werewolf. Sure there were other names that were somewhat fitting, such as Sirius.. as in Sirius Black, Harry Potter's Godfather who also happens to turn into a black dog.. but I like the name Remus.

Remus is a little ball of energy.. and because he's so small, it's adorable to watch! He mouths, but it doesn't hurt. Thanks to my experience with Turbo, I know enough to try to nip the mouthing in the bud before he gets bigger and it gets out of control!

I've also already begun working on training him. It's not going to be easy. I've never had a puppy before. The most experience I've ever had was with Turbo and he'd already learned a bit.. not much, but at least he was pretty easy to begin training, and he already knew how to walk on a leash. Remus has never been introduced to a leash yet.. he just doesn't know what to do with it.

Thankfully hubby has had a few puppies in his life, so he knows how to at least get them walking on a leash and such. The training will be up to me.

I began today. Remus didn't seem interested in the training treats I have, so I tried some cheese, and that worked a lot better. I began teaching him how to sit using the clicker. He sat a couple times.. so we're off on the right foot.
It's just so different because he's so energetic and is only calm when he's sleeping, and he has such a short attention span I can't really get him to focus on training. I didn't have that problem with Turbo.. he loved training as long as he was able to learn the new trick quickly. If he didn't pick it up quickly he'd get frustrated and I'd have to revert to tricks he knew well or else he'd get out of hand.

So, Remus is going to be a whole new adventure for me.. but an adventure that I think will be successful, fun, and rewarding since I've got a brand new baby puppy to mold into the perfect family dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment