Friday, March 22, 2013

Drip Candle..

 I had actually never heard of this before, until the other night I happened to come across a picture on a website called Gather. The picture looked really cool.. all different colors of candle wax dripping down a bottle.. I had to figure out how to make it. So I did some research, and headed to a store (and discovered it's actually very hard to find the right kind of candles at a normal store.. why haven't craft stores caught onto this yet??).

So here's what I did. I bought a glass bottle. Of course you can use whatever you have at home.. but we don't drink anything from glass bottles around here.. I've got the same bottle of wine half full in my fridge from before Christmas! I bought a small 2lb bag of blue sand, used in sand art. I wanted to both weigh the bottle down and make it look nice. Then I got some colorful candles. The candles I picked up at the craft store are okay.. but there's a place in Woodstock, NY that sells actually drip candles that are bright and colorful.. I've ordered a set of those and can't wait to see the results once I can start burning them. These regular candles are okay, but are a little pale.

It took a little bit for the candle to start dripping. At first I was worried I managed to get dripless candles, but once it burns down a ways, the effect was exactly what I was looking for, as you can see from the pictures below.

I am absolutely loving making these drip candles. It's so fun and relaxing to watch the hot wax drip down and then suddenly cool and harden! The kids think it's pretty neat too!


No comments:

Post a Comment