Monday, January 14, 2013

A few easy pork recipes..

As a mom of 5, I've had to become an expert at stretching a dollar, stretching our groceries, and coming up with some interesting meal ideas that the whole family will eat. I thought I would share a few of my tips for saving money, making easy meals, and a couple interesting recipes.

I bought a large pork loin this week for $17, and this will get my family of 7 three separate meals. I find the pork loin cheaper than buying chops already sliced, especially for my large family. You can of course choose to buy the pre-sliced pork chops.

Tonight I'm making what we call Ramen Pork. The second meal will be apple juice pork chops, and the 3rd meal will be pulled pork sandwiches.

I started by cutting the pork loin into 3 sections and freezing the 2 I won't be using tonight. The one I am using tonight was sliced into pork chops.

Tonight, as I said, is Ramen pork. I came up with this by combining 2 different recipes to create one great one! What I do is take some Ritz crackers and mash them up. To that I add the seasoning packets from some Ramen noodles (for my family I use about a whole sleeve of crackers and 6 seasoning packets.. but this would depend on your tastes and the amount of chops you're making). Mix this all together, and use it to coat the pork chops.. then bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. It's delicious. (Side note, the left over plain Ramen noodles without seasoning are usually saved and served with stir fry over them).

Later this week I will make apple juice pork chops. This is super easy! Take another section of your pork loin and slice it into thin chops. Layer them in a baking dish. Top with a can of frozen apple juice. No need to thaw. No adding any water. Just let the chops bake in the apple juice for about 30 minutes. Yummy!

The last bit of pork will go in the crockpot one of these days with a small bit of water on the bottom, and salt and pepper to taste. Let it cook all day until you can shred it with a fork. Shred all of the pork using 2 forks to rip it apart. Then add bbq sauce, any kind you like. Voila, pulled pork sandwiches!



No comments:

Post a Comment