Monday, August 22, 2011

Summer is winding down..

My kids start back to school on September 6, so we're gearing up for that. For me, the first day of school is better than Christmas! I'm definitely looking forward to it. Of course this year I also go back to school the day after the kids do, but my schooling is so much easier on me when the kids aren't home all day to distract me.

Back to school shopping was a breeze for me this year. Normally right now I'd be freaking out because I'm not completely ready, but this year has been different. I've bought the supplies a bit at a time all summer long, and that is complete now. Clothes I've also done a little at a time here and there. Got the oldest some nice name brand things at garage sales and on Craigslist. Got the younger boys some nice things off Craigslist very reasonably priced. They each got at least 1 brand new outfit from K-Mart (I'm not made of money you know!). Shoes will be taken care of this week.. I put them on layaway at a store called Marshall's, which, if you're not familiar with it, sells overstock or discontinued name brand items at a major discount. I spent $30 on each pair of shoes and got Fila, Nike, and Puma. Beats spending $20 at Walmart for Faded Glory shoes that will fall apart in a month! However the kindergartener did opt for Walmart shoes, because Marshall's doesn't sell anything with Spiderman on them. I was given a bit of money from a relative to help with back to school stuff, and that all went towards that ridiculously overpriced graphing calculator the high schooler needs.. ugh! But, it's all done and I can relax and be excited about school.

I've also been working on getting the kids their physicals before school starts. Last week was the oldest 2 boys. Tomorrow will be the daughter and kindergartener. The youngest had his physical over the winter so no need to get him seen again.

Well the oldest got a clean bill of health.. except for the growing like a weed part. He's now 5'8" and only 14 years old. He's barely started his major growth spurt.. so it sort of scares me to think of how tall he might be when he's done growing. Bad enough he's practically in the same shoe size as my husband, and wears the same length men's pants. It's also pretty sad that I can no longer shop for the boy in the little boys department.. he needs the men's department. When did my little boy grow up??

The 8 year old son raised a little red flag at his appointment. Overall he's healthy, but he appeared to have some vision issues. So I had to take him to see the eye doctor today. Apparently he has a lazy eye. Thankfully they no longer seem to treat that with patches like they did when I was growing up. Nope, he just needs glasses. Though to him that's still a bit upsetting.. it's also a little upsetting to my wallet.. but I gotta do what I gotta do. He picked out some glasses today and should have them before school begins.

With the start of school, a lot of sports also begin. I registered the 8 and 5 year olds for the community soccer league today. This will be the 5 year old's first time playing an organized sport, I hope he enjoys it!

The oldest is also playing soccer, but through school. As a 9th grader he'd most likely be on the "modified" team, which is their way of saying Junior Varsity. They have modified for 7th, 8th, and 9th graders and then varsity for those in 10th, 11th, and 12th. Well, this year 48 kids signed up for the modified team, so the coach suggested that the 9th graders try out for the varsity team. I didn't really have my hopes up too high. But we went to the try outs anyways. I figured it would be a long shot, and that there'd be a lot of older kids who've played the past few years (my son played football for the past 2 years but wasn't really good at it, but he's great at soccer hence the switch this year).

As it turns out, only 16 kids showed up to the varsity try outs, so they all made the team, including my son. That's not to say he's not good enough to be a varsity player, he just didn't have a lot of competition like I assumed. Either way, I'm really excited for him. That also means there's a few open spots on the modified team so fewer kids will need to be cut. Not that I was concerned, as a 9th grader on the modified team my son could not have been cut, they'd cut 7th graders first. But my son's position on the varsity team opens up opportunities for other kids to play modified. It's a win-win situation.

Not many other major actitivities going on, aside from gearing up for the State Fair which starts this Thursday and runs through Labor Day. We plan on going sometime next week while hubby and I are both on vacation from work. Hubby and I are also going this Thursday because we have tickets to the Maroon 5 concert that night at the fair. Very exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there ! I found your blog from mylot. Good to see a fellow blogger :)

    Nice blog, keep writing.

    Manu

    ReplyDelete