Friday, January 14, 2011

First Interview and Rejection

I was so excited on Monday when I got a phone call from a local gas station that wanted me to come in for an interview. I set it up for Wednesday morning.

I thought the interview had gone very well. Most of the interview was spent listening to the hiring manager drone on and on about the company, company policy, other employees at that location, why those employees were so valuable, etc. etc. In my mind, I thought none of this would have pertained to me if I was not going to be hired, so why would she waste her breath? It must have been a sure thing!

The interview ended with the manager telling me she had other interviews that day, and that I should hear something by Friday.

Since I was so sure I had this job, I truly expected a phone call very soon. I began making plans for what I would do with my paychecks. I wanted to put a little bit in a savings account each week and not touch it. Then I'd set a little aside for paying down debt. I even told my husband that my money will go towards my gym membership and our cable/phone/internet bill which would free up a little of his money. Yes, I made big plans!! It was all very exciting!

So, Thursday goes by with no phone call, and I did start to get a little disappointed.

This morning I return home after going to the gym and the grocery store and expected to find a message on my answering machine, but alas, there were none. I was getting more and more disappointed, depressed, and frustrated. So I began thinking about calling the gas station to ask the hiring manager about my status, and suddenly the phone rings. The caller ID says it is that gas station! My heart soared!

"I'm calling to let you know that I've filled the position, but I will keep your application on file for thirty days."

Tears welled up in my eyes.

I think the most difficult part of this rejection isn't the fact that I wasn't chosen, but the fact that I'd had my heart set on getting this job because I was so certain it was a sure thing! I guess I learned a lesson here. If I ever get another interview, I will not expect or plan on being accepted for the position.

So, back to square one. I did submit around twenty applications for part-time evening jobs. Aside from this rejection I also got an e-mail from Lowe's stating that they were not interested in hiring me at this time.. at least they didn't get my hopes up by calling me in for an interview! I also know I won't be getting a job at Blockbuster because they've just decided they're closing down their store. However, there's still about 17 applications out there, and I could get a phone call for one of them. I also plan on going out and filling out more applications. I've even begun looking for day-time secretarial work on Craigslist. Sadly I feel it would be more lucrative to get an evening job as I wouldn't have to pay for child care in the evenings, but a day time secretarial job would look better on a future resume, and would lead to better opportunities.

Basically, my plan is to take the first job I'm offered! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read. Maybe there is a better job out there waiting for you. I believe that everything happens for a reason.

    Best of luck.

    Bowles

    Please follow us on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/BowlesGroup

    Please like us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/BowlesGroup

    Comment on our blog:
    http://www.bowlesgroupllc.com/cgi/wp/

    I will reciprocate if you follow us.

    ReplyDelete