Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Small Steps lead to Big Changes..

This has been a changing week in my life.

I've been unsatisfied with my situation for a long time. I had a child in high school, dropped out and got my GED, held many dead end jobs that I quit after just a few months, then I had some more kids and became a stay at home mom. My husband struggles to support us. He works over 50 hours a week yet his paycheck doesn't even cover our bills and food.

I'm not usually an ambitious person. Mostly I just feel sorry for myself. I wonder why my life isn't better. Why do we work so hard yet we've achieved nothing? What have I done to deserve this?

The fact of the matter is, life is what you make it. My lack of ambition has led to a lack of other things in my life. I lack friends, I lack finances, I lack security and happiness.

So a few weeks ago I got to a point where I'd decided I've had enough of this. I want better. I want a nice house. I want to be able to afford stuff.. my bills, extra clothes, food! I don't want to be extremely wealthy, just comfortable and secure. Wishing and hoping to win the lottery isn't going to accomplish these goals.. I need to work for them!

So, this week, I set out to find a part-time, evening job. I haven't succeeded yet, but I've put in a few applications and plan to continue to put in applications until I find a job. Though I know it won't solve all my problems, and it won't allow me to truly accomplish any goals, it will at least help make our bills more affordable.

Today I was going about my usual online activities, when a thought popped into my head. I don't even know why or how it popped into my head, but it did. I need more schooling! I'm never going to get anywhere working a bunch of dead end jobs for minimum wage. What I need is a career, and I can't get a career without schooling.

So, I applied for a part-time college.. and surprisingly I got a return phone call half an hour later! The ball is rolling. I am working towards getting everything in line to enter this school by January 12. I will take 2 online classes per semester and have an Associates degree as an Administrative Assistant in 20 months!

A few small steps.. but they will lead to major changes! And at the moment, I'm super excited about it!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on finding a job. If you like being a stay at home Mom though there are business you can work from home. I help people set up a home business and get fit if you want help!! Good luck with school, that sounds exciting. It sounds like you are going to make 2011 a GREAT year!!

    ReplyDelete