Thursday, December 23, 2010

Don't Worry, Be Happy

You can only do what you can do, and give what you can give. No one expects more from you. So relax if you aren't relaxed. During holidays many of us instinctively want to do and give more... or create the perfect event. Then suddenly we lose sight, go overboard, get overwhelmed, anxious, and it's not fun anymore! Remember, It's about spending time with others, love, giving, helping, and being grateful. So slow down. It's okay as it is. Don't worry, be happy. And be grateful for family, friends, what holiday you are celebrating this season, and love.

This quote came from "Simply Positive", a group I follow on Facebook to help lift my spirits from time to time.

When I read it I thought it really hit home for me. I've been stressing over the last few weeks, like many people. Christmas snuck up on me this year and I'm far from organized. Usually I start a little earlier, I put the majority of my purchases on layaway to help afford it, I sign up for Christmas baskets from charities to help with gifts and food.. and come Christmas Eve I usually feel satisfied with what we've accomplished. This year is different. I didn't start a layaway, I didn't sign up for baskets from charity. I've been attempting to work on my Christmas shopping each week while grocery shopping.. and attempting to not go over my usual weekly grocery budget, which means we've been less than satisfied with our food situation recently.

Having five kids doesn't make it easy. I remember last year the older kids each got 14 gifts. The youngest got a little less and was upset when he did not have more gifts to open. I know for the little ones it's not about what they get but that they have a lot to open, even if it's cheap $1 toys. So this year I stressed myself out with the importance of making sure each child got an equal amount of gifts. Sadly for me it seems certain children are easier than others in my home. Some years I'm less than satisfied with the final outcome for a particular child, but more than pleased with the outcome for another child. This year it seems my oldest son and my daughter were the easiest ones to shop for. I had to pass on a few things I wanted for each of them because I knew that would mean one more thing I'd have to find for the others and I just couldn't afford that.

In the end each of my children have 11 gifts.. and hopefully they'll be happy with the gifts they recieved. Of course I've been driving myself crazy hoping they'll like the gifts enough, and what if one of them thinks someone else's gifts are better than theirs.

That is why this quote really hit home for me. When I think back to all my childhood Christmases, there isn't one that stands out as better than the rest. I never got any gifts that were really amazing in my eyes. But I did always get a decent number of gifts that I liked. Most of them were inexpensive as we never had a lot of money, but at the time that didn't matter. Of course I didn't have siblings to contend with or compare my gifts to.. but my children aren't the type to compare or compete with each other. They're usually appreciative and greatful.

This quote has helped me to see that I'm making a big fuss over nothing. This Christmas my children's joy is my #1 priority.. and although they won't have as many gifts as last year, or as expensive gifts as last year, they will still be plenty pleased.

Wishing you all a stress free, enjoyable holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment